Rounded Shoulders? Feel "Slumped” Forward & Poor Posture?
Ever noticed how much time we spend hunched over screens, leading to rounded shoulders, poor posture, and even hyperkyphosis (that's an excessive forward curvature of the spine)?👨💻👩💻
The good news is, we can counteract these effects with a simple and effective exercise: band pull aparts! 💪
Band pull aparts target the muscles in your upper back and shoulders, especially the rhomboids and trapezius. These muscles are crucial for maintaining good posture and spinal alignment. By strengthening these muscles, we can counteract the forward pull caused by tight chest muscles and reduce the stress on our spines.
Here's how to do it:
Resistance Band Pulls
1. Start in a standing position with your feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent.
2. Grab a resistance band in your hands approximately shoulder width apart. (Hand position will be influenced by band tension)
3. You are going to be sure you are standing straight, head up, eyes up, head over your shoulders. You will begin steadily pulling the band apart so that your hands end up being as far lateral as they can and 180 degrees from each other.
4. Hold this position for a second or two and then return to the start position in a controlled manner. The band should offer resistance but not a significant amount of resistance.
* You can start by doing 5-10 reps and see how that feels, 2-3 times per day and work up to 50-100 repetitions if you like so long as you are not having significant pain or soreness.
If you are dealing with severe neck pain and cannot get in a comfortable position, sleep is a challenge, it hurts to drive, rea, eat, workout an dyu are in misery then this is exactly what we specialize in helping and have been doing so for the past 18 years, We do not utilize drugs injections or surgery at all and we are experts at what we do. We have to look at what is the cause of most neck pain. We live in a gravity environment and have constant compression on our spines. With the amount of time we spend sitting, looking down at screens, cell phones, laptops, iPads etc. there is a significant amount of pressure that builds up in our spines. This places a tremendous amount of compression on the spinal discs. The discs are made up of mostly water, 84% water. So what happens over an amount of time, the amount of water in the spinal discs starts to decrease which then places even more pressure onto the spinal discs. Think of ringing out water from a towel, the less water, the more dry and brittle and thus susceptible to injury. This is why for many patients physical therapy, acupuncture, acupressure, massage therapy, pain medications, spinal injections, dry needling, cupping, chiropractic adjustments, and for many spinal surgery does not work (it is less than 50% successful for back pain). The pain is coming from actual disc compression, therefore we need to decompress the spinal discs. By doing so we are able to get water, oxygen, and nutrients back into the discs. The decompression then allows the pressure to come off the discs which places less pressure onto the spinal nerves which then allows the discs to start healing and then the pain levels start reducing which then allows the functioning to increase, and people start moving and feeling better. This is why for the past 18 years we have been utilizing something called *True Spinal Decompression Therapy, Or NSSD, Non-Surgical Spinal Decompression. We specialize in severe neck pain as well as the following conditions: Chronic Lower Back Pain Neck Pain Herniated Discs Slipped Discs Pinched Nerves Scoliosis Disc Bulges Degenerative Disc Disease Sciatica Spinal Stenosis Neuropathy Foraminal Stenosis As the largest provider of spinal decompression that we know of in San Diego as well as the state of California we are experts in Spinal Decompression and our doctor is one of few actual Certified Spinal Decompression Doctors.
Spinal decompression is a well researched and proven treatment but needs to be rendered in a specific and individualized way. There is science, art and expertise as well as extensive knowledge on how to go about treating a patient properly with spinal decompression. Unfortunately many doctors are unaware of just how many factors need to be considered when entering the settings for each individual treatment and they haven't spent the time, energy or financials to better Theron procedures and hence their patient outcomes are poor.
Our clinic director, owner and founder, Dr. Cassidy Boelk DC is a certified spinal decompression doctor, has thousands of hours of research and clinical hours spent treating patients as well as thousands of hours spent in the gym, and on spinal stabilization and rehabilitation. He has performed over 30,000 spinal decompression treatments over the past 18 years and has been able to treat his own neck and beck from multiple sports injuries. 2 disc herniations in his neck, 3 in his lower back, 2 severe cases of sciatica and a broken back provided him with extensive and first hand knowledge of spinal mechanics and spinal Decompression.
He is very active and plays golf, baseball, hockey and works out and surfs and snowboards. He could not be this active without treating himself with spinal decompression and the spinal stabilization protocols he uses for himself.
He loves to share what he has learned and help his patients get and stay out of pain.
Rated the #1 Spinal Decompression office in San Diego for many reasons. Here is a quick guide to finding the best office when searching for Spinal Decompression:
1. Does the office specialize In Spinal Decompression or is it just one of many multiple treatments they offer? We have seen many patients come from other offices who said they are specialists and experts in spinal decompression but only treat 3 or 4 patients a day on decompression.
2. Is the doctor or staff actually getting the patients on the treatments? Spinal Decompression is a specialized skill and requires daily decision making and protocols vary from person to person, it is not a one size fits all approach. Many patients come from different offices and inform us they were getting decompression but it was done by the staff and many times they are in pain when on the tables. The treatments should not be painful but feel good.
3. Is the doctor Certified? There are many doctors who are utilizing spinal decompression who are not certified. It is best to see someone who took the time and learned the process and is certified.
4. Do they have a good reputation and reviews that report the doctor and office and staff are looking out for the patient and there is a common theme of the doctor caring and wanting the best for their patients?
5. Experience? How long has the office been utilizing spinal decompression? How many sessions have they performed? You want to see someone who has a lot of experience and knowledge in their field when looking for spinal decompression offices.
Our office has been specializing in NSSD, Non-Surgical Spinal Decompression for the past 18 years. Everyday we perform 40-50 sessions. Every single decompression session is performed by our doctor and not our staff. He determines the settings and has unique protocols for each patient that is dynamic.
We utilize science based, proven and effective treatments researched by Johns Hopkins uNiversity, Stanford University, Duke Medical Center and Mayo Clinic among others. NSSD or Non-Surgical Spinal Decompression is a comfortable treatment that is computer aided and feels great. It works by gently creating separation between the spinal vertebrae 9 back bones) which allows for pressure to come off of the disc and the nerves. With sciatica, that would be the sciatic nerve which is producing the pain. Once the discs are being decompressed they are then once again able to get water, oxygen and nutrients to aid in healing and reduction of inflammation and pain.
Most of our patients fall asleep or listen to podcasts or music while on the tables and it feels great. Followed up by specific spinal stabilization protocols developed by Dr. Cassidy Boelk, DC to help ensure the pain relief lasts.
3 keys for any complete disc injury Spinal Decompression treatment protocol will consist of the following:
1. Modification- there are numerous movements through the day that are aggravating your condition and any good doctor will discuss and set a plan to remedy this.
2. Non-Surgical Spinal Decompression is extremely comfortable and takes the compression off the spinal discs which then allows the disc to come off the spinal nerves, mainly the sciatic nerve. At the same time the disc is now able to get water, oxygen and nutrients that are vital.
3. Spinal Stabilization- if not addressed and the spinal and gluteal (butt) muscles are not strengthened the the pressure will once again be placed on the spinal discs which will once again cause the pain.
Our treatments we use are clinically proven highly effective and have been researched by Johns Hopkins University, Stanford University, Duke Medical Center and Mayo Clinic among others.
For a no-charge, no-obligation consultation call 619-298-0800,
*Due to demand, regardless of referral from family physician, neurologist, orthopedic surgeon or chiropractor patients are seen on a first come first serve basis.
"I came in with extreme back pain, resulting in days where it was difficult to get out of bed. There were moments where I would be walking and then my back would lock up. I thought it was something I have dealt with in the past but this lasts the entire month of July. I finally dedicated myself to finding the long term solution.
I came to Dr. Boelk unsure about the process, but after he identified exactly what my ailment was, I felt confident that this was the long term solution I was looking for. I instantly felt better and Dr. Boelk kept encouraging me to trust the process and understand it will take time to feel 100%. I am now pain free and honestly feel stronger, even a little taller. I highly recommend you visit Dr. Boelk." - Ming T.
"I highly recommend Dr.Boelk to everyone who has issues with their back and neck. After 2 months of treatment I am feeling a considerable difference. Dr. Boelk's skills and experience are incredible. Especially I appreciate his "very cautious and attentive " approach to health: no unnecessary adjustment and procedures. I am very grateful to Dr.Boelk for his knowledgeable and professional treatment." - Olga M.
"Dr. Boelk & his staff are by far the BEST at spinal decompression. I walked into his office unable to sit to do my job, where I was having to lay each day & within a couple of weeks he helped me with being able to sit again. His attention to you & the way he will make you feel is unparalleled. First of all, he has suffered from some severe back issues, so his empathy is very high. Secondly, he is extremely caring & genuinely wants to help people. I've never worked with a doctor who has cared as much and made me feel like I was his only patient before. There would be 4 people there at the same time, and he still made me feel this way. I guess I just cannot thank him enough & cannot recommend him enough. He is an angel on earth. If you visit him, please listen to him & follow his instructions. He knows what's best for you. " - Erin T
We are 5 star rated on over 200 reviews. Dr. Boelk utilizes methods that solved his severe neck and low back pain and disc herniations. Dr. Boelk holds the following licenses and certifications:
-#1 Rated Spinal Decompression Office In San Diego
-Board Certified Doctor of Chiropractic
-California Licensed Doctor of Chiropractic
-Certified Spinal Decompression Doctor
-California X-ray Radiology Licensed Doctor
-Pain Free Performance Specialist
-The International Disc Education Association Member
With true spinal decompression, we can get water, oxygen and nutrients into the disc itself while flushing out swelling and inflammation which is adding to the pain. With traction and inversion tables the spinal muscles are unable to fully relax and thus they stay somewhat activated which then prevents the discs from getting into a negative pressure and healing properly and getting rid of the pain as much as possible.
Serious inquiries only please. For a no-charge, no-obligation consultation, call our office at 619-298-0800.
*Due to demand, regardless of referral from family physician, neurologist, orthopedic surgeon or chiropractor, patients are seen on a first come first serve basis.
Dr Boelk is thorough, technical, and explains everything very well. Excellent bedside manner and all the staff are very nice. Decompression treatment is effective and I have no more neck pain." - Andre G.
"Dr. Boelk is professional and kind. He has the health of his patients as his top priority. The decompression treatments, exercises, and diet adjustments he recommended and administered have so diminished my back pain that I can sleep again. Chiropractic adjustments did not help my lower back. Decompression did. I highly recommend Dr. Boelk."- Steve R. --